Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Broken Lamp...

As I was reading Jonas his night time stories about 2 weeks ago, I hear this great big CRASH! I asked, "What was that?" (hoping and praying hard that it wasn't what I thought) Todd's reply: I'm sorry! I go out to our front room and my beautiful papi lamp...my favorite thing...was shattered in a thousand pieces all over the carpet! Hear sinking, holding back the tears, hand over my jaw-dropped mouth, I stare wide-eyed and stunned. Get myself together, put Jonas night night, and begin calling my cousins to see if these lamps are still replaceable (I got it in a store we frequent when we go to San Carlos Mexico). Anyway, after helping Todd clean up the pieces I retired what was left of the lamp (the stand) to its graveyard: the garage. It now stands wanting to hold up it's red flower but having empty hands. Jonas is equally touched by my loss. His narrative of what happened has evolved weekly and even daily as follows:

Version 1: "Daddy, lamp, broke."
Version 2: "Daddy broke lamp."
Version 3: "Daddy broke lamp pajamas" (this detail was added since he remembered that the trauma occurred just before bedtime)
Version 4: Daddy broke lamp, mommy cried.
Version 5: Daddy broke lamp. Mommy cried. Sad.

And his latest version: "Daddy broke lamp, carpet." he says as he nods his head.
And with his voice now very soft he then adds, Mommy cried. Sad. Pajamas.

So, Todd and I are both having a hard time getting over the loss of our favorite thing...since Jonas reminds us daily.

3 comments:

Mark and JanaRae said...

Soo sorry about the lamp. Your little baby is so sweet. It was fun to see some pictures. It looks like you guys are doing great.

rachel said...

I am sorry about your lamp. I hope you can find a replacement! At least get a fun trip to Mexico out of it to look for one. Jonas is getting really good with words wow!

Carleton & Robyn said...

Oh how sweet. So sad.